Friday, May 29, 2009

THE MECHANICS OF SHOWERING


...So I joined the “1 million women” campaign the other day...the campaign aims to rally together “...daughters, mothers, sisters, and grandmothers committed to protecting our climate, our communities and our future - leading change for the better”. The great thing about the website and campaign is you can log your progress, through simple behaviour changes you can see how you are reducing your carbon foot print...it makes grand and small suggestions as to how you might achieve this... the first of one of the easier changes I am willing to make to my daily behaviour is my showering...and if you knew how much I like my warm showers ...well you’d know I mean business...

So this morning armed with my four minute shower timer thanks to TODAE...I confronted my fear...a short shower...so not to false start...I stood readied, leaver in one hand shower timer suctioned to glass screen ready to flip with the other.

On your marks.......


Get set..........


GO!!


Well the blue sand started making its way thru the bottle neck...way too fast for my liking...and yet the hot water was nowhere to be seen...”come on ...hurry up...I’m running out of blue sand” ...it was a fifth of the way thru the blue sand ....the hot water kicked in...- thank goodness...yet I still had to wash my hair & shave...maybe I was asking too much...for my first try...
Previously ...although my showers had always been much longer...I had always taken to only pulling the lever half way out...reducing the water pressure and I am sure the amount of water I was using...so therefore in my mind justifying the longer shower time....

But this morning with time passing way too fast for my liking...

Shower power full speed ahead....

First ginger shampoo which doubles as body wash...natural, good for the environment and my scalp and kills two birds with one stone...washed once...two washes I have decided is a theory perpetuated by large hair product manufacturers ...so you use their products twice as fast....
Next ...the conditioner...- sadly I haven’t yet found a natural alternative that moisturizes my hair as well leaving it smelling good and shiny...but open to suggestions....
So while conditioner is soaking...shave....oh ohhh sand check ....very very little left....I’m not going to make it out without opening a vein and suds in my hair....Just as I have finished one leg...my time runs out...so I go to flip the timer...”let’s see how long I really take!”


....but the Timer knows!!!


The game is up!!!...


It drops from the wall...shattering....- not the sand thank goodness...just the outside container....- thankfully repairable for another time trial tomorrow...
Maybe I will alternate tasks...but either way...the egg timer is going to go on the outside of the glass screen....to stop the inevitable happening again and to prevent me from cheating....and if I invested in one of the preheat things...that makes the water come out hot straight away...I might win back those valuable seconds I spent hiding in the corner of the shower where the cold spray can’t reach....and maybe even a water saving shower head....(check out WELS - Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards)


With water restrictions not set to be reduced until December... (don’t even start me on this)....I hope my bathroom time trials help to reduce our household water consumption...at least a little...and put me that one step closer to reducing my carbon footprint by 1 tonne


So all in all I like my new blue sand 4 minute shower timer...
It makes for some interesting times in early morning hours when really it is the only piece of equipment I am qualified to operate pre -caffeine...